Tuesday, July 6, 2010

TOP HUNDRED OR SO GREATEST POP SONGS

This is the KENSUSKINREPORT opinion of the 100 or so most popular songs. This list has nothing to do with record sales or popularity with the general public. For many of the artists I've listed, the song I liked was not their most popular or best seller. Also, I've tried not to include too many from any particular artist but rather to incorporate as many artists as possible.

As you can see, I have diverse tastes in popular music ranging from rock to sentimental songs, as well as instrumentals. Some go all the way back to the 1950's. These are the songs that when they come on the radio, I stop what I'm doing to listen. I'm sure you'll enjoy seeing the names of some of these artists who haven't been heard from in many years. The order listed is roughly alphabetical from my I-Tunes library.

1. Take a Chance on Me , Abba
2. You Won't See Me, Anne Murray
3. Could I Have This Dance, Anne Murray
4. My Maria, B.W. Stevenson
5. Be True to Your School, Beach Boys
6. Ticket to Ride, Beatles
7. I've Had It, Bell Notes
8. Lipstick Traces, Benny Spellman
9. Wind Beneath My Wings, Bette Midler
10. White Silver Sands, Bill Black Combo
11. I've Had the Time of My Life, Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes
12. With You I'm Born Again, Billy Preston & Syreeta
13. Crackin' Up, Bo Diddley
14. Sealed With a Kiss, Brian Hyland
15. Glory Days, Bruce Springsteen
16. Land of 1000 Dances, Cannibal & the Headhunters
17. My Heart Will Go On, Celine Dion
18. Mr. Sandman, Chordettes
19. Just Between You & Me, Chordettes
20. Beautiful, Christina Aguilera
21. Searchin', Coasters
22. Mr. Dyingly Sad, Critters
23. Memories Are Made of This, Dean Martin
24. Houston, Dean Martin
25. Atlantis, Donovan
26. Little Town Flirt, Del Shannon
27. Layla, Derek & the Dominoes Also the slow version of Layla by Eric Clapton.
28. I Wonder Why, Dion & the Belmonts
29. Where or When, Dion & the Belmonts
30. Cannonball, Duane Eddy
31. Hotel California, Eagles
32. Strange Magic, Electric Light Orchestra
33. Rocket Man, Elton John
34. Candle in the Wind, Elton John
35. Someone Saved My Life Tonight, Elton John
36. All Shook Up, Elvis Presley
37. I'll Wait for You, Frankie Avalon
38. Mule Skinner Blues, Fendermen
39. 100 Years, Five for Fighting
40. Never Going Gack Again, Fleetwood Mac
41. Moments to Remember, Four Lads
42. Theme from New York, NY, Frank Sinatra
43. It Was a Very Good Year, Frank Sinatra
44. Friends in Low Places, Garth Brooks
45. Eternal Flame, Bangles
46. New Orleans, U.S. Bonds
47. Taxi, Harry Chapin
48. Magic Man, Heart
49. L.A. Goodbye, Ides of March
50. The Lonely Surfer, Jack Nitzsche
51. Sidewalk Surfin', Jan & Dean
52. She Cried, Jay & the Americans
53. Whole Lotta Shakin', Jerry Lee Lewis
54. Who Will Save Your Soul, Jewel
55. Margaritaville, Jimmy Buffett
56. Fly Me to the Moon Bossa Nova, Joe Harnell
57. Don't Fall in Love with a Dreamer, Kenny Rogers
58. Lola, Kinks
59. Dear One, Larry Finnegan
60. Stairway to Heaven, Led Zepplin
61. God Bless the USA, Lee Greenwood
62. Darlin' Be Home Soon, Lovin' Spoonful
63. Sweet Home Alabama, Lynyrd Skynyrd
64. California Dreamin', Mamas & Papas
65. Walkin' in Memphis, Marc Cohn
66. Quiet Village, Martin Denny
67. El Paso, Marty Robbins
68. Angel of the Morning, Merilee Rush
69. Question, Moody Blues
70. Brooklyn Roads, Neil Diamond
71. Only Love Can Break Your Heart, Neil Young
72. Wedding Song, Noel Paul Stookey
73. Old Cape Cod, Patti Page
74. Like Long Hair, Paul Revere (The B side was I Ain't Sharin' Sharon, an awful song) .
75. Poetry Man, Phoebe Snow
76. Bohemian Rhapsody, Queen
77. Stand, R.E.M.
78. In Crowd, Ramsey Lewis
79. What'd I Say, Ray Charles
80. Susie Darlin' Robin Luke
81. Lady Jane, Rolling Stones
82. Love You So, Ron Holden
83. Jessie, Joshua Kadison
84. Soul Man, Sam & Dave
85. Chevy Van, Sammy Johns
86. Angel, Sarah McLachlan
87. Kiss from a Rose, Seal
88. I Can Never Go Home Anymore, Shangri Las
89. You're Still the One, Shania Twain
90. Solitare, Carpenters
91. The Joker, Steve Miller Band
92. Young Love, Tab Hunter
93. Stand by Your Man, Tammy Wynette
94. Green Green Grass of Home, Tom Jones
95. Tie a Yellow Ribbon, Tony Orlando
96. Love is All Around, Troggs
97. Concrete & Clay, Unit Four Plus Two
98. Hawaii Five-O, Ventures
99. YMCA, Village People
100. Get Together, Youngbloods

If you want to comment, but not try to sell me something, email me at sphinx711@aol.com

KENNETH SUSKIN
7/6/10

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to have to disagree on most of these. Out of all of the Beatles songs, you pick "Ticket to Ride" Really? No Temptations, no Animals, no Pink Floyd?

July 15, 2010 at 3:11 PM  
Blogger kensuskinreport said...

In this type of list, you're going to have controversy no matter what songs you pick. "My Girl" by the Temptations is a great song. So is "House of the Rising Sun" by the Animals. I'm embarrassed to say I can't name anything by Pink Floyd. You should make your own list.

KEN SUSKIN

July 16, 2010 at 9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home